This is a quick, healthy, and beautiful recipe that I adapted from a recipe at Pinch of Yum. It's the best kind of food - great inside and out. The salad is simple - quinoa, pomegranate seeds walnuts, and kale. The slightly sweet and tangy dressing can be easily made in a food processor with just a few simple ingredients. I'm not sure you could get healthier than this:
- quinoa for whole grains and plenty of protein (also great for those on gluten-free diets)
- pomegranate (lots of antioxidants)
- kale (cruciferous vegetable packed with calcium, vitamins, and minerals),
- walnuts (omega-3s)
I mean, this is really a powerhouse of a salad. And it's beautiful to look at!
This is a great salad to serve for the holidays - it's pretty (the pomegranate seeds look like little rubies), filling, and a great complement to almost any dish. I love the subtle fruity burst when you bite into the pomegranate seeds. If you like, a sprinkling of goat cheese or feta can work with this too. This salad can easily stand on its own for lunch or a light dinner as well!
Pomegranate, Kale, & Walnut Quinoa
For the salad...
1 cup pomegranate seeds (if you're new to pomegranate, please take a look at this tutorial on extracting the seeds. Otherwise you'll have blood-red mini bombs exploding all over you)
2 cups chopped kale
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1/4 cup goat cheese or feta cheese (optional)
For the dressing....
1/2 cup minced onion or shallot
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
Juice of half a lemon
1. Prepare two cups of cooked quinoa. While cooking, prepare pomegranate seeds and chop kale and walnuts. Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
|Aren't these pretty?|
2. Prepare dressing. Start by cooking shallot/onion in 1/2 tbsp olive oil until fragrant
3. Combine shallot/onion, remaining 1.5 tbsp olive oil, honey, water, apple cider vinegar, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor
4. Pulse until thoroughly combined
5. Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly
6. Stir in 1/2 cup of feta or goat cheese if you like
This salad is a great way to end or start the year on a healthy note - Enjoy!