It's not uncommon for me to wake up in the morning and want some kind of delicious, soft breakfast pastry - a muffin, a scone...you name it. Most of the time though, I have cereal or yogurt, lest I be tempted by the bigger-than-my-head muffins at work that look good but leave me burned out from a sugar crash a few hours later. However, there are times when I just have to have something more toothsome. And these little breakfast rounds are perfect. Why breakfast rounds, not cookies? I hesitate to call these cookies because they're only a tad sweet and a little bit too good for you to be labeled as a cookie!
I was amazed at how delightfully chewy these were - with so little fat, I was afraid they would come out too dry, like little lumps of coal. I was very, very wrong. The batter is heavy in pumpkin and spices, and low in fat (only used 2 tbsp butter), but the final product is soft, springy, and in my opinion, a great way to start off your morning. Even better, you won't head for a major sugar crash with these - a few of these cheerful orange bites will easily tide you over to lunch time!
Pumpkin & Oatmeal Breakfast Rounds
adapted from BudgetBytes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup quick cooking oats
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg, milk, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix until just combined (do not overmix!). Gently stir in oats
5. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Be sure to flatten the tops slightly, as these will not spread much during baking
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until gently springy to touch
7. Cool on a baking rack & enjoy!
I hope you'll enjoy these as much as I did!
I'd love to connect with you! Follow me on bloglovin.