Monday, January 27, 2014

Strawberry Ricotta Crostini














Can you guess that I'm yearning for summer already? I know it's still February, but hey, strawberries are always so cheerful,  no matter how cold it is outside. They're especially welcome on a slow weekend when my husband and I are still bombed out from being on call the weekend before. 

Strawberries are so beautifully vibrant and red, and biting into a huge sweet strawberry is so refreshing...  it's an automatic mini mental vacation to the warmer months. Speaking of which, I've never picked fresh strawberries despite all of the years we've gone apple and pumpkin picking. It's definitely on my to-do list this summer! 

 These crostini are so easy to put together. All you need is a baguette, strawberries, ricotta, and honey. Bite into these and you'll get sweet and tart from the strawberries and honey, creaminess from the ricotta, and a satisfying crunch from the crostini. They're excellent for a light breakfast or snack. Added bonus? The crostini are sturdy and can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. That way, you can always have them on hand and switch the toppings easily! 


Strawberry + Ricotta Crostini

1 baguette, sliced into 1/4 in thick slices

olive oil for brushing crostini

1 box strawberries, sliced

ricotta cheese



Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly brush crostini with olive oil

2. Spread slices evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Check on these frequently to make sure they don't burn! 

3. Remove from oven and let cool

4. Spread each crostini with ricotta cheese, top with sliced strawberry, and drizzle with honey


To dress this up a little bit, it would be interesting to marinate the strawberries with balsamic vinegar, sugar, and black pepper and to top them with sliced fresh basil. But for now, I think I like simplicity best - just a quick, sweet taste of the warmth to come.

I think I'm getting on a crostini kick - I'm already thinking about mushrooms....what are your favorite toppings for crostini?

~R



I'd love to connect with you! Follow me on bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here!