Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Green Spinach Smoothie


I finally did it - I made a green smoothie. I've been avoiding these for so long, mostly because it was inconceivable to me how strong, green winter vegetables like kale could possibly blend well with fruit. When I think of kale, I often of other members of the cruciferous family like brussels sprouts, which can often have a slightly bitter taste and a sulfurous (gag) odor if cooked too long. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for brussels sprouts, kale, and broccoli - their slightly bitter taste is due to an abundance of sulfur containing compounds called glucosinates, which have anti-carcinogenic properties.  I think cruciferous vegetables are delicious -- just on their own as a side dish or as a salad (I had the most delightful kale salad with toasted breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, cherries, and breaded chicken at one of my favorite restaurants downtown). 

So, when I came across a green smoothie that used spinach, I gave myself the go-ahead to see what the green smoothie craze was all about. Spinach is decidedly the boring cousin of its cruciferous counterparts - it just has a much milder personality and plays well with other foods. I was delighted by this smoothie, which was creamy, mildly sweet, fruity, and not spinach-y at all. The addition of oats gives this smoothie a little more heft and staying power in your stomach, and as an added bonus, makes you feel like you are actually eating something instead of drinking juice. This recipes makes 4 small servings; if you're having this smoothie as a meal, it makes two servings (I happily guzzled half of mine immediately after I made it!)

Okay, let's do this...


Green Spinach Smoothie

(from the FoodNetwork)


Ingredients

2 cups soy milk (or any milk of your choosing!)

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen peaches, mangos, or a combination

1 cup ice cubes

1 cup baby spinach, loosely packed

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 bananas


Directions

Add all of the above ingredients to your blender.

Blend until smooth.

Sip.

Enjoy.



I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did! If you have any favorite green smoothie recipes that you swear by, please share! I'd love to try them -- even if they include kale. Hey, I'll try anything at least once! ;)

Thanks for reading!

-R


I'd love to connect with you! Follow me on facebook or bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here!